Montreal’s St. Patrick’s Church, consecrated on St. Patrick’s Day, 1847

by irishcanadianfamineresearcher

Montreal's St. Patrick's Church, consecrated on St. Patrick's Day, 1847

Montreal’s St. Patrick’s Church was consecrated on St. Patrick’s Day in 1847, six weeks before the massive influx of Irish Famine emigrants during the summer of that year. The church that is most closely associated with the Famine Irish, however, is not St. Patrick’s but rather Notre-Dame-De-Bon-Secours (colloquially known as the Sailors’ Church). Thirty years earlier, in 1817, Father John Jackson Richards, or Jean Richard, first gathered Montreal’s Irish Catholics for English language worship in Bonsecours Church. As the founder of Montreal’s Irish Catholic community, Father Richards worked tirelessly to care for Irish Famine orphans alongside the Grey Nuns in the city’s fever sheds during the summer of 1847. He perished on July 23rd. The death of Father John Jackson Richards is recounted in the annals of the Grey Nuns (pp. 43-44):

http://faminearchive.nuigalway.ie/docs/grey-nuns/TheTyphusof1847.pdf